I’m celebrating because this is the first year I’ve actually liked pumpkin spice.
That’s right: all of those years playing the die-hard Autumn fan, I’ve been a fraud.
Until now! Last month I ordered a pumpkin spice latte and, to my absolute shock, actually liked it (despite it being waaay too sweet). And I’ve now made it my mission to accommodate absolutely everything pumpkin spice before we start writing our letters to Santa.
It started with cakes and muffins, and now I give you: the pumpkin spice pancake.
These are the moistest (sorry to all the ‘m’ word haters) pancakes I’ve ever made, even more so than my standard fluffy pancake recipe and I’m thrilled to share this with you 😍
RELATED POST: Easy fluffy pancakes in less than 10 minutes
Now, this recipe calls for a pumpkin spice mix which you can buy as a ready mixture. One of my favourites is the Simply Organic Pumpkin Spice on Amazon which tastes amazing in all kinds of cakes and muffins (as well as in cappuccinos!).
But you can also make a simple one yourself: here’s a super simple recipe over on Taste of Home (and to make it even simpler, I leave out the cloves and it still tastes great). Enjoy!
Pumpkin Spice pancakes
These pancakes take only about 5-7 minutes preparation time, and 10 minutes to cook for two people!
- 160g all purpose flour (approx 1 and 1/4 cups)
- 30g brown sugar (approx 1/4 cup)
- 250ml milk (approx 1 cup)
- 65g pumpkin puree (approx 1/2 a cup)
- 1 medium egg
- 1 and a 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice mix
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cannola oil or another cooking oil
- Pinch of salt
- Powdered sugar and banana
- Nutella and strawberries
- Maple syrup, peach quarters and pecans
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: the flour, sugar, salt, pumpkin spice and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients: pumpkin puree, milk, oil and then beat in the egg.
- Before the next step, pour a good glug of cooking oil into a large pan (or two pans if you want multiple pancakes on the go for a stack!). Turn to a medium-high heat and get the oil nice and hot.
- Back to the batter: slowly pour the wet mixture into the dry bowl while stirring. Stir well until all of the flour is mixed in and you end up with a colourful smooth batter that is mostly free of lumps.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium, stop to drink your brew while the oil cools down for a minute, and then spoon the batter carefully into the pan. It should sizzle a bit. For a stack of 3 pancakes each per person, I aim for 3 inch wide circles.
- After a few minutes, the top of each pancake should bubble a little — time to flip over. Do this quickly but carefully as the topside will still be runny. A couple more minutes and your pancakes will be ready!
- Now top with whatever you like!
So there you have it — delicious pancakes with m-word texture to really get you in the Autumnal spirit 🎃
Now excuse me whilst I run off to make a batch 🥞
One thought on “Chef’s Corner: yummy Pumpkin Spice pancakes for two 🎃”